Are you jam first cream second, or cream first and jam on top?
With scones, that is.
It’s one week away from the end of winter, and we’re enjoying 8 degrees, gail force winds, and a forecast of snow up in the mountains. It’s also a Sunday afternoon and raining outside, and I’m in the mood for some baking. Luckily, I managed to buy all the ingredients that I needed from the shops this morning – fresh butter, self raising flour, milk, cream and jam. And let’s be honest: my go-to scones recipe does not need a lot of ingredients. The key here is to use fresh ingredients. I tried making this a few weeks ago, but using flour and baking powder from my pantry, and somehow they failed to rise and the taste were just not right. Today’s batch were a million times better: these babies have a golden brown crispy outside, but buttery and fluffy inside. Not too crumbly, not too doughy.
Simple this recipe may be, but I know that I’m only 5 ingredients and 20 minutes away from warm, soft scones and happiness on a Sunday. Oh, and I’m jam first, cream on top kind of girl. 🙂
Best Sunday Scones
Recipe from Taste
3 cups self raising flour
150g cold butter, cut in cubes
1 cup cold milk
Whipped cream (or better, clotted cream) and jam of your choice
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C.
- In a bowel, mix the butter and flour together by using your fingers. “Press” the butter cubes into the flour until you reach a sand-like consistency.
- Create a well in the middle of the bowl, and pour the milk in. Using a small, blunt knife, mix the flour roughly into the milk.
- Sprinkle a bit of self raising flour on a flat surface. Place the flour and milk mixture on top.
- Roughly knead the dough together, but do not overwork the dough. Tip: instead of using a kneading technique, I “fold” the dough in itself around 5 times maximum. What you’re trying to achieve is a soft, slightly crumbly finish with layers thanks to the roughly mixed butter and the “folding” technique.
- Cut small rounds and place on a pre-floured baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve with cream and your jam of choice. Enjoy!