As a housewarming present, I gave my former workmate cupcakes to serve during the party. I could not think of anything easier or yummier than… vanilla cupcakes! I had some spare chocolate frosting from last week’s picnic so I just topped up a few with chocolate, and a few with vanilla buttercream. The contrast was beautiful!
I used a tried and tested vanilla cupcake recipe from Exclusively Food, with just a bit of tweaking around here and there. The result were the best vanilla cupcakes I’ve made so far!
Makes approximately 24 cupcakes
240g unsalted butter, softened
2 cups caster sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3 cups self raising flour, sifted
1 cup buttermilk
1. Pre-heat oven to 175 deg C. Line your muffin tray with paper cases.
2. Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla and buttermilk.
3. Add 1/2 of the sifted flour to the butter batter, and then beat until just combined. Add the remaining flour and beat well.
4. Divide the batter on to the cases evenly.
5. Bake for 20 – 22 minutes. Cool before frosting.
I just used a normal vanilla buttercream recipe and chocolate fudge frosting.
100g unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp milk
1. Beat butter until soft. Add icing sugar.
2. Add vanilla and milk. Add more sugar if frosting is too runny, or milk if it’s too solid.